Friday, June 12, 2009

June 11 2009

I was still at work when I noticed some good cells on radar, building in the south-east part of the State. They were looking pretty impressive. I was only on shift for another hour, til it was time to get off work.


This was taken in a High School parking lot as I was heading out of work

I pretty much ran outta there and noticed a huge shelf cloud hanging over the back of the building, coming over from the west.

These was taken on I465 heading across town (Interesting cloud structure to the left... This was just some scud stuff though...no rotation there!!)



I knew it wouldnt be long before this storm dumped on us, so we started heading south-east to get in front of it, I knew we would miss the discrete cells further south, as it was now 5.30pm and we would not have time, due to work commitments the next day etc...so we decided to go for the leading edge of this big squall line instead.
We got dumped on, while we were fighting traffic to get out of the metro. Finally got out of the beltway and hit 74 south, with intentions of exiting, and going east a bit. Unfortunately it was already clear on radar at that point that it was beginning to weaken. We didnt bother to head east on that basis.
We finally got ahead south of the storm, and it looked real good, and the lightning was pretty awesome, but, at this point I knew we were gonna get a regular squall. If there was any tornadoes tonight, they were gonna be well south of us...


Shelf Cloud following us down I74


I Got a couple of pics of the storm coming in and a bit of video. Not wonderful quality as I was only armed with my cellphone, as I had come straight out of work...All in all, nothing too spectacular, But it was nice to get out and sample some more storms, before they dissappear for the season, completely...


No comments:

Post a Comment